Regaining Retail Distribution Using Low-cost Data
Issue: $3M ethnic frozen food company had been kicked out of a key account.
The local Walgreen’s buyer had authorized the client’s ethnic food product and had made an initial order. That buyer was then rotated to a new position, and the new buyer discontinued the client’s product, saying it had underperformed.
Client could not afford syndicated sales data like Nielsen and the Walgreen’s data was spotty.
- Identified inexpensive way to gather rough account information by conducting a store audito
- Created shelf audit survey
- Identified underutilized internal resource to conduct store research
- Analyzed audit results
- Interviewed industry experts to gain category insight and perspective on Walgreen’s performance metrics
- Worked with client’s senior management to identify opportunities for improved performance and service at Walgreen’s which were within budget and aligned with marketing objectives
- New packaging
- Shelf stocking and tagging support
- Created selling story based on store audit results, changes client was willing to make, and brand positioning developed as part of project