Repositioning – Visual Example
Beverage start-up with consumer packaging (pictured at right) but no brand positioning.
An R&D technologist joined forces with an angel investor to develop a beverage product. While the product was superior to other products in the market in several ways, it was not positioned to meet a specific unique consumer need, its packaging was very similar to existing in-market products, and initial in-store test results were weak.
- Conducted category assessment to identify consumer target and need state gaps
- Researched beverage industry
- Analyzed results of in-store test
- Assessed portfolio of original package designer and compared to those of other designers
- Identified older women who consider themselves active as a good strategic fit and an unmet target in the marketplace
- Positioned brand against this target
- Developed Packaging Creative Brief which clearly defined brand position, essence and strategic goal
- Collaborated with original package designer on differentiated packaging which aligned with the brand positioning